Friday 9 March 2018

Fantastic Voyage - Flower Character Concepts and Further Visual Research

So from the feedback I got from Phil I started to simplify my designs while looking to Lucienne Day for inspiration.


I'm beginning to like these more simplified versions of my Flower Girls much more as a result. And soon I will start to move onto my Butterfly character.

______

During Simons lesson today, He told me my idea of the "dance" reminded me of the choreography of Busby Berkeley. His films include dance sequences that are extremely synchronized and very beautiful as a result, which is something I could include. Of course, I won't be able to do something as complicated as Berkeley for this project, but taking elements of these dances could work for this project.



The costume designs for the girls are very much clone like as well, and I feel with the short time we have and the limit of what I can do as a filmmaker right now, this kind of cloning could work well with the flowers. It makes sense as well as in a field of flowers lots of them look similar in terms of shape with the only difference being color in most cases. So when I finish a final flower girl design I will change them in terms of color.

This also got me thinking in terms of the environment for this animation. Since the flowers and butterfly are in themselves going to be quite bright and busy, I don't want the environment to take away from that experience, or to make it too much for the eyes to look at. So I had the idea of making it like a ballroom, or even like the sets of musicals.

While I was looking at Instagram on the train home, I came across the page of an artist called James Brunt. He uses nature to make beautiful patterns. He uses rocks, sand and even leaves.


I feel that the simplicity of the placement of these leaves could make it seem like a natural environment, while still having it look like a ballroom. I will draw up concepts for these ideas over the weekend ready for OGR.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of lovely stuff simmering here, Annie - and I like No 1 on your latest character drawings a lot! You might also want to look at Andy Goldsworthy's stuff too in terms of 'terrains' and 'spaces'...

    ReplyDelete