Tuesday 15 May 2018

Fantastic Voyage - Reflective Statement

This time last year I was very unhappy with what I was doing creatively. The course I was pushed onto just wasn't for me. So choosing to come study at CAA was a very big step for me. And I have to say I've loved every second of it. Even all the stress and low moments. And I wouldn't take back my decision for the world. Fantastic Voyage was a dream come true for me. Getting to direct, produce and animate my own short film was just amazing, and one year ago I never even thought I'd ever get to this point in life.

Although my short film could use many improvements (mostly in the animation portion), I am very proud of what I've managed to produce on this course. But I do admit, I bit off a bit more than I could chew with this project. I went in excited and wanted to impress. I really wanted to use NCloth, so much so that I never created a backup plan when NCloth went downhill. In hindsight, creating a version of my rig that allowed me to move the dress/poncho/filament as separate parts would have been the best thing before experimenting with NCloth, and I'm a little mad at myself for being so lazy with the rigs and just wanting to dive into NCloth. I really needed that backup plan with the dress rigs, because my animation suffered as a result.

I need to improve in this planning aspect, otherwise, my work could suffer in the future. I also want to improve in the animation aspect so that my characters don't look like they're floating in space. I'm looking forward to my second year at CAA, and I hope to improve in all ways possible next year and over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment