Monday 3 February 2020

Minor - Reflective Statement

I didn't want to write this without first addressing the elephant in the room. My Premise. Something I had no choice but to drop. The person I commissioned the music from for my premise never met the deadline I gave them, and since my premise would heavily rely on the music (since it was a music video), I had no choice but to drop it and start fresh for my Minor. Part of me wishes things went differently, that I could be working on that project even now. But another part of me is happy with what I'm doing now.

My character/wordbuilding driven Minor project has been a bumpy rollercoaster ride. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Its been a challenge, but an incredibly fun one. I'm glad I had the chance to start over for Minor, to chase what I love to do.

Creating the World of Solumna was fun but challenging. I had my ups and downs with the project, and it took a while to get off the ground with the idea, but once I got going It was a fairly straight path forward.

I enjoyed designing my 3 characters a lot, and I think they represent the three races of Solumna well. I'm looking forward to making the rest in Maya too.

I ran into many problems while making Katherine. This is mostly due to the fact that during my third year I didn't make much progress with Jet Pack Jones, which meant a lot of the stuff from the tutorials I was doing for the first time and learning as I went. Which wasn't the best for me in terms of the progress made. If I had the experience with JPJ I think I would have worked faster.

My first focus for Major is to start modelling my two remaining characters, Alekos and Elisadora. I've gotten fairly fast at modelling and think I can get them done in a good time frame. My second focus is finishing the designs for the environments they'll be shown in and also refining the animatic. I also still need to finish the facial expression for Katherines model, but since I keep running into issues with the method we were taught, that's been put on hold for now until fixed. I didn't want to spend time fixing it that I could be working on polishing other things. But I will come back to it.

Another thing I'll need for my Major is to find someone to do the music for it. This will be done when I have my animatic finalised and finished.

Moving into Major I'm very excited to keep working on this project, It's been a fun ride so far with results I'm proud of.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Annie - A friend recommended this piece of software that he thought might help you enhance and speed up your projects world building/lore. Its a map building piece of software (commonly used in roleplaying etc). He often uses it as a tool to help inspire storytelling. As long as you state you've used it, that is fine and of course you can add too it in other ways. It's called...Wonderdraft. I'm not sure if there is a free version but the full version only costs $30.

    https://www.wonderdraft.net/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan, This software looks great for worldbuilding. I'll absolutely take a look. :)

      Delete