Tuesday 12 November 2019

Minor - Revised Character Design w/ Justin

Today I showed Justin my character designs so far and the sketch from the previous voice. To my surprise, he said there wasn't much to change. The design is strong and all that needs tweaking are the eyes (less square) and a few shapes (more angular and edgy to reflect personality).

To reflect, the design I ended up taking forward was number 17 from my initial sets of designs. When I said this to Justin he agreed, saying it was the strongest and reflected the personality I gave her. He thought the longer fluffier hair (like in 15) didn't suit her personality and was too friendly for her. But shorter messier hair was better.





Next, he asked me what her role in the story was. I told him she's been hired by a Queen to find the relic from my creation myth and she's only really doing it for the money. He suggested adding something in the design to suggest this. Such as a badge that the Queens made her wear or certain colours of the kingdom etc. I said maybe the coat hanging off her shoulder could be official guard uniform and she doesn't want to wear it so she just reluctantly swings it over her shoulder to wear. It could have a stark colour contrast to her outfit with brighter colours, but still fit in with her clothes slightly.




After taking all of this into consideration, I've started reworking her design with Justin's suggestions in mind.

I'm going to keep playing around with the shapes to get a silhouette I really like, but for now, I'm more confident going forward.

2 comments: